Recognizing that family members are respected as essential members of the healthcare team, we have worked over the past year to replace our “visiting policy” with a Family Presence policy that welcomes family members, as defined by the patient, at the patient’s bedside 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Of course, you must follow a few guidelines to ensure your safety and the safety and well-being of our patients:
- There are no specified visiting hours. However, in the hospital, quiet time has been designated for the hours of 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. every day to promote a restful, healing environment for our patients.
- We may interrupt your visit to provide patient care.
- In order to support the care, comfort and privacy of our patients in semi-private and ward rooms, we may restrict the number of visitors.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult (someone other than the patient) at all times.
- Please ensure you are signed in on a log book at the unit nursing station which includes your name and the patient you are visiting. Sign out at the end of you visit.
- Family members supporting a patient overnight are asked to remain in the patient’s room and advise unit staff when coming to and leaving the unit.
- Disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated.
- To keep our patients safe, please observe all posted safety placards and directions.
- If you feel unwell, have an infection or flu-like symptoms, please do not visit until you are well.
While the Family Presence policy is in place throughout the hospital, some departments may have other rules to ensure the safety of their patients, visitors and staff:
- The Emergency Department team sets a limit of one family member for adult patients and two (parents) for children.
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) encourages parents to visit and be present 24/7. Other family members and siblings are welcome to visit as long as they are accompanied by one of the baby’s parents. There may be restrictions on when those visits can occur. Please check with the NICU staff. For infection control reasons all visitors other than siblings much be 12 years of age or older.
- The Mental Health Unit sets a limit of two family members per patient. These family members must be over the age of 13. Family is encouraged to visit during non-therapy activities, however, overnight visits are discouraged. There is a list of items that are restricted for safety reasons. You can check with the care team.
Please feel free to talk with us about these guidelines, and any special requests that you have. We will do our best to meet your needs, while ensuring the safety of all our patients in a restful, healing and safe environment.