OSMH Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC)Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital (OSMH) is recruiting patients and family members to serve as Advisors on our Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC). We are looking for individuals to provide the hospital with their perspective and ideas on how we can better serve patients and family members. We want to know about your experience with the hospital. Your participation as an Advisor will help us make improvements in the planning, delivery and evaluation of care for patients.
Why does OSMH have a Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC)?
Patients and families play an important role in guiding the work that we do within the hospital. Patient and family Advisors are a resource to guide the hospital’s priorities and planning.
What do Patient & Family Advisors do?
The PFAC offers a formal way in which patients and family members can contribute to the success of the hospital. Council Advisors will be consulted and involved in matters where the input of patients and families is valued. The range of matters will include, but is not limited to:
- Providing the perspective of patients and their families on the planning, delivery and evaluation of care
- Contributing to the understanding and improvement of the patient and family experience
- Assisting in the review and providing feedback on patient satisfaction
- Promoting improved partnerships between patients, families, staff and physicians
- Providing input on policy and program development which impact service delivery for patients and families
- Providing recommendations on the identification of healthcare needs and gaps
Who sits on the Patient & Family Advisory Council?
As it’s currently designed, the OSMH PFAC will consist of 15 members. Eight of the 15 will be Patient Advisors. The remaining 7 are hospital staff.
What is the time commitment for Advisors?
- Commitment to serve for a minimum of 1 year
- Meetings of the full OSMH PFAC will be held 5 times per year at the hospital for approximately 2 hours.
- The current meeting schedule is as follows:
Thursday, July 28, 2016 – Inaugural Meeting
McGugan Room - OSMH
2:00 – 4: 00 pm
Thursday, September 22, 2016
Thursday, November 24, 2016
McGugan Room or Muskoka Room
Thursday, January 26, 2017
McGugan Room - OSMH
Thursday, March 23, 2017
Thursday, May 25, 2017
- In addition to meetings of the PFAC as a whole, individual Patient Advisors may be asked to participate in internal hospital meetings dealing with special projects or initiatives.
- For example, Department A is considering a change to the Registration Forms that patients complete prior to treatment. You may be asked to sit in on that group to provide the patient perspective on how the Forms should be developed.
- Another example may involve a renovation project being planned inside the hospital. You may be asked to participate on the committee to let us know what makes sense for patients.
How do I know if this is the right commitment for me?
Here are some things to consider. You must be:
- Respectful of others’ opinions and ideas
- Able to communicate negative experiences in a positive manner
- A good listener
- Willing to partner with OSMH staff, other patients and family members
- Flexible and patient
- Able to see beyond personal experiences and represent views of other patients
What we expect from you:
- Complete an application form and attend a selection interview
- Attend an orientation session
- Sign a Confidentiality Agreement, and provide a Police Check
- Attend PFAC meetings and provide patient perspective in order to collaboratively improve the patient and family experience
- Understand scope of your role and act within it
- Commit to a minimum 1 year term
What kind of training and support will Advisors get?
Advisors will receive training needed to be an engaged Patient and Family Advisor. OSMH will provide advisors with orientation to the hospital.
If you are interested, please review the material on our website, or pick up a brochure, FAQ or Application Form at the Volunteer Services Desk in the Main Lobby at OSMH. Online copies are also available below.
For additional inquiries, please contact OSMH at email@example.com, or by phone at (705) 325-2201, Ext. 3239